NATUROGEST 100MG contains Progesterone which belongs to the group of medicines called progestins. It is used to treat various menstrual and fertility-related issues caused by hormonal imbalance in female patients. Progesterone helps to maintain hormonal balance and provides relief from menstrual disorders and infertility issues. It can be used in combination with estrogen as part of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) to reduce the symptoms of menopause (such as hot flushes, anxiety, depression or vaginal dryness) and to prevent the onset of endometrial hyperplasia (excessive thickening of uterine lining) in non-hysterectomized postmenopausal women. It can also be used to treat pre-menstrual syndrome.
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a combination of physical, emotional and psychological disturbances that occur during 7 to 10 days before their monthly period (after ovulation) and typically ends with the onset of menstrual flow. Common symptoms of PMS include tension, irritability, mood swings, depression, headache, breast tenderness, weight gain and bloating.
The most common side effects of taking this medicine are headache, dizziness, stomach pain, bloating and breast pain. Contact your doctor immediately, if you see any changes in breasts like dimpling of the skin, changes in the nipple or presence of any lumps. This medicine should be used with caution in patients with pre-mature menopause due to ovarian failure or surgery. Consult your doctor before taking. Before taking this medicine, inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or if you have severe liver or heart problems. NATUROGEST 100MG is not a contraceptive.
USES OF NATUROGEST 100MG
- Treats symptoms of menopause and prevents endometrial hyperplasia in postmenopausal women with uterus who are taking estrogens as part of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)
- Treats pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS)
HOW NATUROGEST 100MG WORKS
Progesterone taken orally, binds to and activates the progesterone receptor (PR) present in the stromal cells during the secretory phase of menstrual cycle and during pregnancy. It works by adjusting the hormonal balance within the body, restores progesterone levels in case of deficiency and reduce the symptoms associated with pre-menstrual syndrome and menopause.
In patients receiving estrogen-based HRT, addition of progesterone helps to shed the excessive layers on the lining of the womb and prevents endometrial hyperplasia.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Take NATUROGEST 100MG as directed by your physician. It can be taken daily before bedtime. Do not take this medicine with meals. Swallow the medicine as whole with a sip of water. Do not crush or chew the medicine. Your doctor will decide the correct dose and duration for you depending upon your health condition. Continue to take this medicine, as long as your doctor tells you to do so, to obtain better results.
SIDE EFFECTS OF NATUROGEST 100MG
- Jaundice (yellowing of skin and eyes)
- Eye diseases (such as partial or complete loss of vision, swelling of optic nerve, retinal vascular lesions)
- Stroke, heart attack
- Changes in speech
- Severe pain in legs
- Chest pain with or without shortness of breath, weakness and fatigue
- Venous thromboembolism (blood clot in the veins of legs or lungs)
- Drowsiness, dizziness
- Breast tenderness or pain
- Abdominal cramps or bloating
- Irregular vaginal bleeding or spotting
- Nausea and vomiting
- Hair loss
- Fluid retention (edema)
- Vaginal yeast infection
HOW TO MANAGE SIDE EFFECTS
Nausea or vomiting:
Try taking this medicine with, or just after meals. Stick to simple meals. Do not eat rich or spicy food.
Bloating or wind:
Eat smaller and frequent meals. Eat and drink slowly, and exercise regularly. If the symptoms get worse, contact your doctor immediately.
Try to rest and relax. You can eat and drink slowly or have smaller and frequent meals. Keeping a heat pad on your stomach may also help. If still pain persists, speak to your doctor.
Apply hot or cold-water bag on your head. Take rest in a quiet and dark room. Drink tea or coffee.
WARNING & PRECAUTIONS
NATUROGEST 100MG should be used with caution if you are pregnant or think you might be pregnant. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
NATUROGEST 100MG should be used with caution if you are breastfeeding women. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
DRIVING AND USING MACHINES
Do not drive or operate any machines, because this medicine may make you feel sleepy or dizzy.
Avoid consumption of alcohol while taking this medicine.
NATUROGEST 100MG is not recommended for use in patients with severe liver disease. Consult your doctor for advice.
Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to progesterone.
NATUROGEST 100MG should be taken with caution in patients with asthma or pulmonary embolism (blood clot in lungs). Consult your doctor for advice.
NATUROGEST 100MG should be taken with caution in patients with severe heart disease like heart attack, stroke or angina. Consult your doctor for advice.
Tell your doctor before taking this medicine, if you:
- Have breast cancer or cancer that is sensitive to estrogen (e.g. endometrial cancer)
- Have endometriosis or endometrial hyperplasia
- Have unexplained vaginal bleeding
- Have porphyria (an inherited blood disorder)
- Have cerebral hemorrhage (bleeding in the brain)
- Have or ever had blood clotting disorders (e.g. blood clot in the vein or legs)
- Have high blood pressure
- Have diabetes
- Have gall stones
- Have migraine headache
- Have systemic lupus erythematosus (allergic immune reaction)
- Have epilepsy
- Have otosclerosis (a disease affecting eardrum and hearing)
- Have depression
- Have photo sensitivity (sensitivity to light)
- Are going to have a surgery
Talk to your doctor, if you are taking,
- Medicines used to treat epilepsy (e.g. phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine)
- Medicines used to treat tuberculosis (e.g. rifampicin, rifabutin)
- Medicines used to treat HIV infection (e.g. nevirapine, efavirenz, ritonavir and nelfinavir)
- Medicines used to prevent blood clots (e.g. coumarins, phenindone)
- Medicines used to treat fungal infection (e.g. ketoconazole, griseofulvin or terbinafine)
- Medicines used to treat diabetes (e.g. insulin, metformin)
- St. John’s Wart (a herbal medicine to treat depression)
- Bromocriptine (used to treat problems of pituitary gland or Parkinson’s disease)
- Ciclosporin (used to suppress immune system)
- Spironolactone (a diuretic pill)
- Antibiotics such as ampicillin, tetracyclines
- Other progestins (e.g. medroxyprogesterone acetate, megestrol)
- Ulipristal acetate (emergency contraceptive pill)
- Diazepam (used to induce sleep)
- Tizanidine (used to treat multiple sclerosis)
Store below 20-25°C and keep out of reach of children.
Category from : Naturogest 100mg Capsule 10’S