LEFUMIDE 20MG Tablet contains Leflunomide which belongs to the group of medicines called anti-rheumatic drug. It is used to treat active rheumatoid arthritis or psoriatic arthritis in adult patients. Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic auto-immune inflammatory disorder characterized by inflammation of joints, swelling, difficulty in moving and pain. Psoriatic arthritis is an inflammatory arthritis that affects people with psoriasis. Symptoms includes inflammation of joints, swelling, difficulty in moving, pain and patches of red, scaly skin (skin lesions). It acts by inhibiting the release of T-cells and B cells, that are responsible for inflammation, swelling and redness in arthritis.
While taking this medicine, avoid consumption of alcohol because it can increase the chance of liver damage. Your doctor will carry out several blood tests, before and during treatment with LEFUMIDE 20MG, to monitor the functions of your liver and blood cells. This medicine may take about 4 weeks or longer to feel an improvement in your condition. So, continue to take this medicine, as long as your doctor tells you to do so, to obtain better results.
Take this medicine as directed by your physician. It can be taken with or without food. Swallow the medicine with a glass of water. The most common side effects of taking this medicine are headache, dizziness, skin rash and neuropathy. Contact your doctor if these symptom bothers you. Talk to your doctor before taking this medicine, if you are a male who wish to father a child, because leflunomide can pass into semen. Before taking this medicine, inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. This medicine is strictly not recommended for use in children and adolescents below 18 years of age.
USES OF LEFUMIDE 20MG
- Treats active rheumatoid arthritis in adults
- Treats psoriatic arthritis in adults
HOW LEFUMIDE 20MG WORKS
LEFUMIDE 20MG acts by inhibiting the proliferation of activated autoimmune lymphocytes by interfering with cell cycle progression. It blocks the release of autoimmune T-cells and production of autoantibodies by B cells, that are responsible for inflammation, swelling and redness in arthritis.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Take LEFUMIDE 20MG as directed by your physician. It can be taken with or without food. Swallow the medicine with a glass of water. Do not crush or chew the medicine. Your doctor will decide the correct dose and duration for you depending upon your age, weight and health condition. Continue to take this medicine, as long as your doctor tells you to do so, to obtain better results.
SIDE EFFECTS OF LEFUMIDE 20MG
- Serious allergic reaction (such as skin rash, weakness, dizziness and difficulty in breathing)
- Pale skin, tiredness or bruising
- Fever, sore throat or cough
- Tingling sensation or pain in your hands or feet
- Mild allergic reactions
- Loss of appetite, tiredness
- Headache, dizziness
- Paraesthesia (abnormal skin sensations like tingling)
- Mild increase in blood pressure
- Colitis, diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting
- Mouth ulcers
- Hair loss
- Eczema, dry skin, rash or itching
- Tendonitis (pain caused by inflammation of tendons)
- Peripheral neuropathy (pain in nerves of arms or legs)
- Severe increase in blood pressure
HOW TO MANAGE SIDE EFFECTS
Nausea or vomiting:
Try taking this medicine with, or just after meal. Stick to simple meals. Do not eat rich or spicy food.
Drink lots of fluids, such as water or juice, to avoid dehydration. Do not take any medicines without speaking to a doctor.
Try to rest and relax. You can eat and drink slowly or have smaller and frequent meals. Keeping a heat pad on your stomach may also help. If still pain persists, speak to your doctor.
Apply hot or cold-water bag on your head. Take rest in a quiet and dark room. Drink tea or coffee.
WARNING & PRECAUTIONS
LEFUMIDE 20MG should be used with caution in pregnant women. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
LEFUMIDE 20MG should be used with caution in breastfeeding women. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
DRIVING AND USING MACHINES
Do not drive or operate any machines while taking this medicine, because it may cause dizziness.
Avoid consumption of alcohol while taking this medicine, because it can increase the chance of liver damage.
Do not take LEFUMIDE 20MG if you have moderate to severe kidney problems. Consult your doctor for advice.
Do not take LEFUMIDE 20MG if you have severe liver problems. Consult your doctor for advice.
Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to leflunomide or teriflunomide (used to treat multiple sclerosis).
LEFUMIDE 20MG should be used with caution in patients who had ever suffered from inflammation of lung (interstitial lung disease) or tuberculosis. Consult your doctor for advice.
Do not take this medicine, if you:
- Have severe hypoproteinemia (decreased proteins levels in blood), any serious infections, bone marrow problems, low numbers of red blood cells, white blood cells or platelets in blood
- Suffering from any problem that affects immune system (e.g. AIDS)
Talk to your doctor, if you are taking,
- Other medicines used to treat rheumatoid arthritis such as antimalarials (e.g. chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine), azathioprine, intramuscular or oral gold, D-penicillamine and other immunosuppressive medicines (e.g. methotrexate)
- Medicines used to treat diabetes (e.g. repaglinide, pioglitazone, nateglinide, or rosiglitazone)
- Medicines used to treat cancer (e.g. daunorubicin, doxorubicin, paclitaxel or topotecan)
- Certain medicines used to treat infections (e.g. cefaclor, benzylpenicillin (penicillin G), ciprofloxacin)
- Medicines used to treat high cholesterol levels (e.g. rosuvastatin, simvastatin, atorvastatin, pravastatin and colestyramine)
- Oral contraceptives (birth control pills) e.g. ethinylestradiol and levonorgestrel
- Warfarin (used to thin the blood)
- Teriflunomide (used to treat multiple sclerosis)
- Duloxetine (used to treat depression)
- Alosetron (used in the management of severe diarrhea)
- Theophylline (used to treat asthma)
- Tizanidine (a muscle relaxant)
- Indomethacin and ketoprofen (used to treat pain or inflammation)
- Furosemide (a diuretic used for heart disease)
- Zidovudine (used for HIV infection)
- Activated charcoal
Store below 20-25°C and keep out of reach of children.
FAQs ABOUT LEFUMIDE 20MG
Q: Can LEFUMIDE 20MG cause mouth ulcers?
A: Yes. This medicine might cause mouth ulcers in some individuals. Consult your doctor if this side effect bothers you.
Q: Can LEFUMIDE 20MG cause liver damage?
A: Yes. This medicine might rarely induce liver damage in some individuals. If you experience any symptoms like tiredness, abdominal pain, or jaundice (yellow color of eyes or skin), please contact your doctor immediately, as these may indicate liver failure.
Q: After how long one can see improvement after using LEFUMIDE 20MG?
A: It may take about 4 weeks or longer to show improvement in your condition. Continue to take this medicine, as long as your doctor tells you to do so, to obtain better results.
There are no reviews yet.